Sunday, November 20, 2011

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Raisin Cookies

With the holidays approaching I find myself wanting to bake my favorite treats. At Christmas time I usually bake 7 or 8 varieties of cookies to offer as gifts to family and friends. My query this year is whether to try to modify my recipes to make them vegan (and accept a difference in texture and taste) or to simply find new and different vegan recipes. Well, the truth of the matter is that I do not need to be eating all these cookies, anyway.
The whole idea of this is to eat healthier! What I have eaten this month has been neither vegan nor healthy. But instead of the usual mental beatings, I will move forward each day, making the best choices I can for that day.


Today, I baked vegan and non vegan oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for a party.

The vegan ( above on plate and on left in picture below) cookies contain rum soaked raisins & vegan semi sweet chocolate chips. The non-vegan ones (Right in picture below) contain milk chocolate chips only. Both are quite good and in fact I prefer the vegan cookies because the cookies themselves are chewy and the soft raisins add another dimension in texture.

Here's the link for the vegan cookies: Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. I modified them by substituting Earth Balance for the coconut oil because of a coconut allergy. I also substituted chocolate chips for the cranberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment