Sunday, October 16, 2011

Roasted Veggie Calzone


With flavorful food that looks like this, anyone could enjoy the vegan lifestyle.

When I go to a friends house I don't expect them to cook vegan for me, so I always bring vegan and non-vegan options. I made cheesy meatball calzones for the omnivores and these yummy veggie calzones for me, but I forgot to tell anyone they were vegan. They ate them, all of them!

For me it's not a matter of what food am I missing or longing for. I try to make meals that are satisfying because they taste wonderful and are visually appealing. I do not need any thing else!

Healthy, delicious, and no animals harmed equal a win-win for me! "Stop babbling, Ellie, and give them the recipe!"

Start with store bought pizza dough of your choosing, or make your own. I find the dough easier to work with if I let it sit at room temperature while I prepare the fillings. For the filling I roasted in a 375 degree oven: asparagus, red pepper, red onion, and zucchini which had been tossed in a little EVOO, salt and pepper. The vegetables have to cook down fairly well or your calzone dough will be soggy and break. Roast about 30 minutes until the veggies are tender. On a flour covered board, roll or use your hands to stretch the dough out to make a 12" by 16" rectangle, approximately. The dough has to be thick enough to hold your filling but not so thick that you end up with a very thick crust. Trial and error, folks. Add your filling (I added some chick peas for protein to my veggie mix) on one half and fold over the edges. You can wet the edges to make a tighter seal or just pinch them. Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes until your calzone is golden brown. Cool slightly, slice, and enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment