Friday, December 2, 2011

Red Pepper Spaghetti Sauce


This dinner started out with a small eggplant given to me from my friend's garden. It was too small to make eggplant parm out of it, so I decided to build a meal around it. I grabbed a few ingredients that I had readily available and started cooking. First things first, I put a pot of water on the stove to bring to boil for the whole grain thin spaghetti. In the meantime, I started my fresh sauce by placing a small quartered onion, one clove of elephant garlic, 3 tomatoes, and a few basil leaves in the blender. Once well blended. I poured the mixture into an already heated pan coated with a few tbsp of EVOO. After cooking for a few minutes, I added some well drained and roughly chopped roasted red peppers to the pan.
While the sauce simmered, I prepared the eggplant by pealing it and slicing it into thin 1/4 inch coins. Since the eggplant was basically going to be a garnish, I decided to bread it and fry it. I used EnerG egg replacement (3 tsps powder dissolved in 4 tbsp warm water) and whole wheat vegan crumbs(with salt, pepper, garlic powder and dry italian herbs) to bread the eggplant. I fried those babies up in corn oil.
The sauce seemed very watery so I added one tbsp of vegan cream cheese to thicken it a little bit. Don't tell anyone but I also sprinkled some nutritional yeast flakes for a little added flavor. Somewhere in the middle I cooked & drained the pasta. I served it without cheese for me and with some shredded parmesan cheese for the omnivores in the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment