Saturday, October 29, 2011

Mexican Baked Tofu Pizza

People tend to shy away when they hear the word tofu or bean curd. Curd reminds me of the nursery rhyme about Little Miss Muffet. I did not know what she was eating back then, nor did I desire to find out, and it took me a while to get on the tofu kick. I am also very aware of the big debate over the benefit and detriment of soy in the diet. Here is my stance, and only my stance, take it or leave it: I believe that moderate amounts of organic non-genetically modified soy products are safe and healthy for me! If you do not care to partake in soy, do not. Easy as that!

Baked Tofu

1 package organic non GMO extra firm tofu,
3 tsps Ener-G egg replacer
4 tbs warm water
1/2 cup vegan whole wheat bread crumbs (try Whole Foods)
Garlic powder
Italian seasoning
Paprika
Salt
Pepper

Drain your tofu and cut into 1/2 inch slices. In a small bowl mix your egg replacer and the warm water until there are no lumps. I aded a small sprinkling of paprika for color to the "egg" mixture. Place your bread crumbs in a flat dish, add the seasonings desired and mix. Take each slice of tofu and dip it in the "egg" mixture and dredge in bread crumb mix until all sides are coated with bread crumbs. Repeat with all of the tofu.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place a heat proof baking rack in a cookie sheet and cover with parchment paper. Place tofu slices on parchment paper and bake for approximately 20 minutes on each side, flipping once until edges of the tofu are golden brown.

The baked tofu takes on the flavor of the spices used. Experiment with different flavors such as curry or cajun spices. The tofu should be stored in the fridge or frozen.

My pizza consisted of a corn tortilla spread with vegetarian refried beans, and sprinkled with baked tofu pieces, fresh tomato, jalapeno slices, corn, red onion and black olives.

No comments:

Post a Comment